Home General Info Business Tourism Government Cities & Municipalities
Cities and towns receive a memorandum: Bulacan strengthens its fight against measles
By: PPAO
Thursday, 09 January 2014
CITY OF MALOLOS- The Provincial Government of Bulacan issued a memorandum to three cities and 21 towns as well as to chief of hospitals, private and public in Bulacan to encourage a unified fight against measles and other communicable diseases.

After the news about increased measles cases in some parts of the Philippines spread, Gov. Wilhelmino M. Sy-Alvarado said that Bulacan will continuously monitor cases at the LGU level and conduct health education on measles prevention and control.

“Nais nating ulitin sa ating mga kalalawigan na libre ang bakuna laban sa tigdas sa ating mga health center. Ang gagawin lang nila, paglaanan nila ng panahon at ito naman ay para sa ating kalusugan at sa pag-iingat sa buhay, at kumpletuhin ‘yung una at pangalawang dose” Alvarado said.

According to the Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, measles cases for the past four years of the province are a declining trend of laboratory confirmed cases from 2010 to 2013.

For the year 2010, 203 cases were reported wherein 48 were positive with measles virus; in 2011, there were 92 suspected cases wherein 47 were positive; and in 2012, there were only 35 cases and two were positive with the said virus.

In 2013, 97 cases were reported and two were positive with measles. The City of Malolos had the highest number of suspected measles cases with 22 followed by San Rafael with 11 reported cases.

“Those were suspected cases, but according to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine out of the 97 cases submitted to them, two were laboratory confirmed, taga-San Jose del Monte at Santa Maria and 95 cases were found to be negative from measles virus,” Dr. Jocelyn Gomez, provincial health officer said.

According to the surveillance, two deaths were reported at the end of the year.

“Nitong December may magkapatid na clinically confirmed na namatay mula sa Bustos, they were clinically confirmed due to lack of blood specimen nor throat swab subject for laboratory confirmation”, Gomez explained.

Moreover, based on the Provincial Public Health Office, last year 25,013 or 29 percent of the 64,530 children below one year old were given complete vaccines and the remaining 39,517 and counting are currently without protection.

“Hanggang may paraan gawin natin, nang hindi na malagay ang mga batang may edad limang taon pababa sa panganib at maging dahilan kalaunan ng pagkamatay. Mapanganib ang tigdas, huwag nating balewalain,” Alvarado said.

PPHO is reiterating that vaccination is free at health centers for children below 5 yrs old, and mothers with children aging 9 months to 5 years old with initial or no measles vaccination.

Measles is a highly infectious illness caused by a virus. The virus lives in the mucus of the nose and throat of people with this infection. Physical contact, coughing and sneezing can spread the infection. ###

Back to 2014 Government News Archive Menu
© 2007 Provincial Government of Bulacan, Philippines. Developed by the Provincial Information Technology Office.
Experience Bulacan