Home General Info Business Tourism Government Cities & Municipalities
History General Info Business Tourism Government
The history of Marilao is correlated with the history of Meycauayan. This may be true, for in the old days, Marilao was part of Meycauayan and its biggest barrio. I got its name from a yellow plan growing abundantly in the place.

Meycauayan was established by the Franciscans between the years 1578 and 1579, or seven years before Manila was established, according to the historical records kept by Reverend Father Luis L. Lopez, D.D. (deceased), found among the records in the church. Meycauayan was formerly comprised of Obando, Marilao, Bocaue and San Jose del Monte.

The first missionaries to reach the place were Reverend Fathers Juan de Placencia and Diego Oropesa. The town proper (poblacion) was located in Malhacan, at present a barrio of Meycauayan. In 1588, storm and earthquake destroyed the churches and leveled almost all houses. Due to these calamities, the poblacion was transferred to Lagulo, but robbers and Aetas frequented Lagulo. The church was finally constructed on a lot surrounded with bamboo trees; hence, from bamboo (kawayan) the town of Meycauayan got its name. Father Antonio de Nombelas made the transfer of poblacion from Lagulo to Meycauayan in abeyance with the request of Father Pedro Bautista, a priest tortured and put to death and later held martyr in Japan. The Catholic hierarchy later honored him as a saint.

On February 27, 1901, the town of Marilao again became a barrio of Meycauayan. It was only in 1913 that Marilao completely became an independent town.

The first church in Marilao was created in the place called "tawiran" now the site of the old chapel, "bisitang matanda". This was constructed 50 years before Marilao became a town.

The municipal building was constructed on a lot near the old chapel, now occupied by Ex-Mayor Mario Santiago. Today, the municipio is located near the church. The town market was built along side the municipal building.

Marilao became part of the railroad track constructed from Manila to Dagupan, Pangasinan on March 24, 1889.
© 2007 Provincial Government of Bulacan, Philippines. Developed by the Provincial Information Technology Office.
Experience Bulacan